[R-SIG-Finance] Data (Was: TZs)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 19 17:07:39 CEST 2011

On 19 October 2011 at 13:00, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
| ICANN takes control of Internet Internet Time Zone Database
|
| http://www.icann.org/en/news/releases/release-14oct11-en.pdf
|
| The problem with TZ probably can be considered as solved :)

Not so fast. While this is undoubtedly excellent news which presumably solves
the _database_ issue after the tireless work of Olson and Eggert came under
patent troll attack, it does not magically give us the pony to fix all broken
Windows installations.

Remember that the whole reason R ships with TZ data (and the Olson library)
is that a certain popular operating system fails to provide this natively.

But I nitpick. We all have an option or two when it comes to OSs and many of
us even exercise these ;)

Dirk

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx