[R-SIG-Finance] A question on volatility

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 5 22:53:25 CEST 2011

I agree with Pat. Time varying correlations in a multivariate GARCH model
are different from the correlations between volatility series. Because
volatility is "unobservable" (i.e, except for special cases like the VIX)
and derived measures like implied volatility are model based (e.g. derived
from Black-Scholes) it is not straightforward to define and measure
correlations between volatilities. One model-based approach in which
volatility is a random variable is the stochastic volatility model. One can
build multivariate models in which the correlation to volatility shocks is
parameterized (but this is not the correlation between volatilities). GARCH
models produce very noisy estimate of volatility and so the correlations
computed from GARCH volatilities are likely to be very  noisy as well. A
better approach would be to compute volatilities using intra-day high
frequency data (e.g. realized volatility) - see the realized package. This
would give you much more precise estimates of volatility. Then the problem
would be to model the correlation between the observed volatilities. For
example, simple EWMAs. One could even consider a simple vector
autoregressive model for a multi-variate time series of volatilities. This
is what Andersen, Bollerslev, Diebold and Labys did in their Econometrica
paper. One potential problem is that the realized volatility series tend to
be non-stationary. Just some thoughts.