[R-SIG-Finance] Systematic Risk to the Financial System, Economy

Adams, Zeno Zeno.Adams at ebs.edu
Tue Oct 4 15:01:38 CEST 2011

David,

I have been recently working on this subject. It seems that the focus has shifted away from "systematic risks" and on to "systemic risk", i.e. the risk that one asset or financial institution in distress causes significant spillovers on other institutions and, perhaps on the entire market. I find the following papers worth reading and believe their methods to be implementable in R:

Brownlees, Christian T. and Engle, Robert F., Volatility, Correlation and Tails for Systemic Risk Measurement (June 1, 2011). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1611229

They also have a nice homepage on http://vlab.stern.nyu.edu/welcome/risk

Brunnermeier, K., and Adrian, T. (2011). "CoVaR" http://www.princeton.edu/~markus/research/papers/CoVaR.pdf
This paper is very well known among central bankers and policy makers

Adams, Z., Füss,R., and Gropp, R. (2011) "Modeling Spillover Effects among Financial Institutions: A State-Dependent-Sensitivity Value-at-Risk Approach" http://www.irmc.eu/public/files/Adams,Fuss,Gropp_Spillover%20effects%20among%20financial%20institutions.pdf

Acharya, Viral V., Pedersen, Lasse Heje, Philippon, Thomas and Richardson, Matthew P., Measuring Systemic Risk (May 2010). AFA 2011 Denver Meetings Paper. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1573171

All methods described in these papers may be useful for measuring how close we are to a "doomsday" scenario. The papers also offer some guidance on legislative reforms that would be necessary to prevent big banks from creating systemic risk.

HTH

Zeno