[R-SIG-Finance] Test data

BBands bbands at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 04:42:12 CEST 2011

Hello Horace,

It is only missing by omission; can't think of everything in a short
post. I typically use market data or bootstrapped data for that, but
you approach is equally, though differently, useful. I've been
thinking a lot about Ralph Vince's comment on the Markets list about
the arc sine law. I have observed that phenomenon in my bootstrapped
series and I think that it is a very deep well.

Best,

    John -- Who is a bit worried that these comments are not Rsih
enough for this environment. Please forgive my gaucheness, but this is
a topic near to my core.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Horace Tso <Horace.Tso at pgn.com> wrote:
> John, always appreciate the insights from an expert in the trade, but what seems to be missing from your list is a simple series generated from random walk, e.g.
>
> x_t = cumsum(rnorm(10000,mean=0.05)/100)
>
> That's pretty much the null hypothesis for testing any trading system.
>
> Horace

John Bollinger, CFA, CMT
www.BollingerBands.com

If you advance far enough, you arrive at the beginning.