[R-SIG-Finance] Test data

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Sep 27 23:32:17 CEST 2011

On 28 September 2011 at 10:14, Worik Stanton wrote:
| I am about to generate some data to test some technical analysis functions.
|
| I expect I am not the first!  Has anybody some advice about where to
| look for some data sets?
|
| What I need, naturally,  is pairs of series, input and output.  I expect
| I can roll my own without too much difficulty but...

As so often, Pat Burns has already been there and done that.  See this

   Patrick Burns. "The Technical Analysis Challenge" (pdf) This draft: 2003
   October 07

   Abstract: We report on a study of the ability of analysts to distinguish
   an actual price series of an equity from random alternatives. Virtually
   all of the statistical tests on the results support the hypothesis that no
   skill was exhibited in selecting the correct response. Many of the
   analysts were extremely over-confident about their ability to select
   correct answers. The one area where it seems skill might have been
   exhibited is in the selection of correct answers that happened to be far
   from the random choices.

   Pointers to the graphs and data for the test, results of the participants,
   and so on can be found here. Instructions for using the data in R are in R
   for the Technical Analysis Challenge.

from the page at http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/working.html where you can
find links to paper(s), code and data.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

--
New Rcpp master class for R and C++ integration is scheduled for
San Francisco (Oct 8), more details / reg.info available at