[R-SIG-Finance] missing data in return series...

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Mon Sep 19 10:22:02 CEST 2011

There are two functions in the BurStFin
package ('factor.model.stat' and 'var.shrink.eqcor')
that will create variance matrix estimates
when there are missing values in the return
matrix.

The second of those gives Ledoit-Wolf estimates,
and is probably going to give the more useful
results.

I believe that the best way to handle missing values
for these estimates is still an open research question.
The functions handle missing values, no claim that
they do it optimally.

You can get the package via:

install.packages('BurStFin', repos='http://www.burns-stat.com/R')

As for means: historical means are in general not
of much use, so it is unlikely that it will matter
how you estimate them.