[R-SIG-Finance] RBloomberg

thomas.browne at mac.com thomas.browne at mac.com
Sun Sep 4 13:17:45 CEST 2011

First of all may I thank everybody involved in creating this RBloomberg add-in, and the various R finance libraries. I am a salesperson in fixed income emerging and developed bond markets, specializing in RV, and since having "migrated" from Excel to R a few months ago, I haven't looked back. I am doing analyses which my clients - major macro hedge funds - have never seen before. This project is a real game changer for me and I owe everybody involved, bigtime. Thank you.

Second - I have had some conversations with Bloomberg on their data API. The point below is correct - it cannot be redistributed - and if you produce charts with Bloomberg data you're supposed to include the source in them. There is however a Data licence, and this does allow for redistribution under certain conditions, but at high cost. Your bloomberg rep can advise because it's all turnkey and case-by-case.

Finally I have a question. How difficult would it be to access Bloomberg data from a Linux or OSX platform? I'm finding Windows increasingly constraining.

Tom