[R-SIG-Finance] RBloomberg

John Laing john.laing at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 15:53:54 CEST 2011

On the licensing part:
I am not qualified to issue any sort of official legal opinion on
Bloomberg's licensing practices, so please don't take this as such.
That said, Bloomberg provides API tools for people to use. RBloomberg
is in many ways similar to the Excel add-in that is widely used. My
understanding -- again, not official -- is that Bloomberg terminal
users are free to use these tools as long as the data obtained remains
with the desktop where the Bloomberg terminal resides. Using
RBloomberg to populate a non-local database, for example, would likely
violate your user license. You should probably not do that.

On the not working part:
Please provide more information on your configuration. Here is my
(Windows) set-up, with working RBloomberg:

> # My configuration
> R.version
              _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          13.1
year           2011
month          07
day            08
svn rev        56322
language       R
version.string R version 2.13.1 (2011-07-08)

> installed.packages()[c("rJava", "RBloomberg"), ]
          Package      LibPath                 Version   Priority
rJava      "rJava"      "C:/R/R-2.13.1/library" "0.9-1"   NA
RBloomberg "RBloomberg" "C:/R/R-2.13.1/library" "0.4-150" NA
          Depends                 Imports LinkingTo Suggests Enhances
rJava      "R (>= 2.5.0), methods" NA      NA        NA       NA
RBloomberg "rJava"                 NA      NA        "zoo"    NA
          OS_type   License Built
rJava      NA        "GPL-2" "2.13.1"
RBloomberg "windows" "GPL"   "2.13.1"

> # Working RBloomberg
> library(RBloomberg)

> conn <- blpConnect()
R version 2.13.1 (2011-07-08)
rJava Version 0.9-1
RBloomberg Version 0.4-150
Java environment initialized successfully.
Looking for most recent blpapi3.jar file...
Adding C:\blp\API\APIv3\JavaAPI\v3.4.3.2\lib\blpapi3.jar to Java classpath
Bloomberg API Version 3.4.3.2

> bdp(conn, "GOOG US Equity", "PX_LAST")
              PX_LAST
GOOG US Equity  539.08