[R-SIG-Finance] Strategies based on Neural Networks (or SVMs) - any experience with R ?

Stephen Choularton stephen at organicfoodmarkets.com.au
Tue Aug 23 05:12:39 CEST 2011

I think that Gentil should be aware of the /No Free Lunch Theorem/ (Duda
et al., 2001, Wolpert and Macready, 1997).  There are no
context-independent or usage-independent reasons to favor one machine
learning algorithm over another. If one performs better than another, it
is owing to its better fit to the particular problem, not its general
superiority.  If you wish to use these techniques try lots of them:
certainly neural networks and support vector machines, but also try some
of the ensemble techniques such as bagging, boosting and random forest.
You can even try the statisticians favorite, logistic regression.  They
are all available in R.

Stephen Choularton Ph.D., FIoD