[R-SIG-Finance] Sharpe's algorithm for portfolio improvement

John P. Burkett burkett at uri.edu
Tue Aug 2 04:24:58 CEST 2011

alexios wrote:
> I've found the cmaes (Covariance Matrix Adapting Evolutionary Strategy)
> solver on CRAN to be quite robust to some nonconvex portfolio
> problems which required a global optimizer. Like other such global
> solvers which do not accept explicit constraint functions, you would
> need to create a sort of penalty barrier function i.e
>
> -obj(x) + 100*(1-sum(x))^2

Alexios,
Thank you for your suggestions.  CMAES looks promising for some
applications. However, for maximizing expected utility or minimizing -1*
(expected utility), detection of CMAES convergence could be tricky.  The
reference manual, in the section on the cma_es function, states that "no
sophisticated convergence detection is included" (p. 3)  If the user
specifies a value for stopfitness, the computation will halt once the
objective function value "is smaller than or equal to stopfitness" (p.
3).  "This is the only way for CMA-ES to 'converge'" (p. 3). If we knew
the minimum attainable value for -1*(expected utility), we could specify
stopfitness as a number slightly greater than that value.
Unfortunately, in portfolio optimization problems we seldom know the
minimum attainable value of -1*(expected utility) until we have found
the optimal portfolio.

> For state of the art global solvers you'll probably need to look outside
> R to a commercial implementation or try submitting your problem to the
> NEOS server (http://www.neos-server.org/neos/solvers/index.html...see in
> particular the Branch and Bound type solver BARON).
Thanks for drawing my attention to BARON.  It looks good; when I've
learned enough about GAMS format, I'll give it a try.

Best regards,
John

--
John P. Burkett