[R-SIG-Finance] Sharpe's algorithm for portfolio improvement

Enrico Schumann enricoschumann at yahoo.de
Mon Aug 1 20:00:56 CEST 2011

Hi John,

what kind of "difficulty" did you encounter? If you would give more details
on what you tried, and how, then people should be better able to help you.

I don't know the paper you mentioned, but I know a paper of W. Sharpe in
which he suggests to do repeated zero-sum changes to the portfolio, like
"increase one asset by x%, and decrease another one by x%". If that is what
you mean, this can be done with a local search. (But actually, other
functions like DEoptim should work just as well. The DEoptim package even
comes with a vignette that adresses portfolio optimisation.)

An example for a local search procedure is given in one of the vignettes of
the NMOF package (which is available from
https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=1128 ), even though I am not sure
how self-explanatory the vignette is.

Regards,
Enrico