[R-SIG-Finance] convert volatility of log returns to dollars

Noah Silverman noahsilverman at ucla.edu
Thu Jul 21 01:41:52 CEST 2011

Pat,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that to estimate the dollar value of the standard deviation, the formula would be:

with r the volatility (through garch, sum of squared logged returns, etc.)

(1 - exp(r)) * Price

Of course this isn't "correct", as we can never know the true volatility, but only an estimate baed on historical returns.  But the boss asked me yesterday for this and I want to give him an answer that is as reasonable as possible.

Thanks,

--
Noah Silverman
UCLA Department of Statistics