[R-SIG-Finance] RBloomberg update on "Error in dimnames(x) <- dn : 'dimnames' applied to non-array"

Ana Nelson nelson.ana at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:27:38 CEST 2011

Several people have reported running into "Error in dimnames(x) <- dn
: 'dimnames' applied to non-array" when trying to run RBloomberg.

Having finally gotten a chance to investigate, I believe this is due
to recent changes in the rJava package, as Java objects rather than R
objects are being returned, hence we have a "non-array".

Unfortunately I will not be able to issue a fix for several weeks. In
the mean time, however, the following (untested) steps may act as a
work-around.

1) uninstall RBloomberg
2) uninstall rJava
3) install rJava version 0.8.8 or lower (.tgz files are available
http://www.rforge.net/rJava/files/)
4) reinstall RBloomberg via

install.packages("RBloomberg",repos="http://r.findata.org/")

I will have a proper fix as soon as I can, but I will probably not
have access to a terminal for several weeks. (If anyone is interested
in becoming involved in maintaining the RBloomberg package, please let
me know off-list.)

If you try this workaround, please reply and advise whether it solves
this issue.

Thanks,
Ana