[R-SIG-Finance] Value-at-risk

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Thu May 12 13:57:38 CEST 2011

There is over 100 pages of documentation available with
PerformanceAnalytics.

I suggest you start with

install.packages("PerformanceAnalytics")
#you only need to do the install the first time

require(PerformanceAnalytics)
?VaR

from the R prompt.  See the examples at the bottom of the VaR
documentation.

Hopefully that will get you started.  If you have trouble, you may email
the R-SIG-Finance list or me with an example of what you're trying to
do.  Ideally, start with some publicly available data (use the edhec or
managers data in Performanceanalytics, or use getSymbols to pull stock
data from Yahoo or Google) so that others can replicate what you're
trying to do and help you with code rather than vague suggestions.

Regards,

   - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson