[R-SIG-Finance] Exponential smoothing and WLS

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Mon May 9 21:58:34 CEST 2011

My understanding is that regression on exponentially weighted data and
one-step ahead prediction (sometimes called discounted least squares) is a
"poor man's" Kalman filtering technique in which the underlying state space
model is a related to an exponential smoothing model. The optimal way to do
estimation is to explicitly write the underlying state space model (e.g. use
the dlm package) and then estimate the parameters by the prediction error
decomposition of the log-likelihood, and then do prediction from the
estimated model. For example, you could write your regression model as a
time varying parameter model where the regression coefficient follow pure
random walk or stationary autoregressive processes.