[R-SIG-Finance] Include only distinct lags into a GARCH specification (rgarch)

Johannes Lips johannes.lips at googlemail.com
Sat May 7 16:46:15 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am trying to fit a GARCH-model to an hourly price series with 24
values each day.
Therefore I got relatively high autocorrelation in the data, especially
for the lag=24. I don't want to fit a GARCH with 24 AR-Terms but rather
would add one distinct external regressor for the lagged variable.

So far I tried the following:
	LaggedDiffHourlyPriceSeries <- lag(DiffHourlyPriceSeries,-24)

	spec.hourly.lagged.gjr <- ugarchspec(variance.model = 	list(model =
"gjrGARCH", garchOrder = c(1,1), external.regressors =
LaggedDiffHourlyPriceSeries, distribution.model = "std"))

	fit.hourly.lagged.gjr <- ugarchfit(DiffHourlyPriceSeries, spec =
spec.hourly.lagged.gjr,  fit.control = list(scale = 1),solver = "solnp",
solver.control = list(outer.iter=500,inner.iter=1000))

That obviously won't work because of the NAs in the whole data set.
A little bit of the whole dataset
dput(DiffHourlyPriceSeries[1:1000],file="output.csv")
could be found here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3917796/output.csv

I would be glad if someone could point me to a feasible solution!

Thanks in advance

johannes