[R-SIG-Finance] Finding all the tickers for common stock from Yahoo or Interactive Brokers

julien cuisinier J_Cuisinier at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 08:55:02 CEST 2011

Hi Samo,

Personally I would keep it simple & start by downloading an index
components (e.g. S&P500, available through quantmod from Yahoo I
believe - sure Jeffrey will contradict me if I am wrong).

Bear in mind that downloading "all" the stocks available for trading
from Yahoo finance you will probably quickly run into time out issues
from the website itself. I do not now the IB package.

  & I am not sure you will need to bother yourself to download all
that stocks' info to get a sensible signal + building a breath
indicator mixing small cap & large cap (e.g. if you can find the
S&P1500 components on Yahoo) might not be what you want - hence
focusing on "smaller" subset of the market might be more relevant.

I am interested by this topic, let us know how you get along...

Rgds,
Julien