[R-SIG-Finance] rgarch and GH

alexios alexios at 4dscape.com
Thu Mar 24 03:52:19 CET 2011

The skew and shape parameters are the (\rho, \zeta) parametrization
standardized for use in the (0, 1) GARCH process. The 'dlambda'
represents the second shape parameter from the GIG mixing distribution
(where dlambda = -0.5 is the Normal Inverse Gaussian distribution,
dlambda=1 the Hypebolic, etc). For details see for example Prauss (1999)

The function:

ghyptransform(mu = 0, sigma = 1,  skew = 0, shape = 3, lambda = -0.5)

will transform (and scale by sigma) the returned parameters to the
standard (\alpha,\beta,\delta,\mu) parametrization (ignore the returned
parameter names...needs fixing. The returned values represent mu, delta,
beta, alpha).

For VaR, you can use directly (without having to transform) the function:

qdist(distribution = "ghyp", p, mu = 0, sigma = 1, lambda = -0.5, skew =
1, shape = 5).

where 'mu' would be the conditional mean (use the 'fitted' method to
extract from fit object), and sigma the conditional sd (extracted using
the 'sigma' method).

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Alexios Ghalanos