[R-SIG-Finance] portfolio.optim and error in solve.QP: matrix D not positive definite

Guy Yollin gyollin at r-programming.org
Thu Jan 27 18:03:16 CET 2011

Hi Lui,

Without seeing the data this is just speculation but...

Are you sure you want t(x)? If you're mixing up your observations versus
your assets this may explain the error.

The first parameter of portfolio.optim (in the tseries package) is a
returns matrix, one column for each asset and one row for each day
(assuming daily returns).  If you have this wrong then for your small
datasets you'd have more columns than rows and this could produce that
error.

Also, you don't have to pass the entire returns matrix to
portfolio.optim, you could pass just the covariance matrix you calculate
yourself and a vector (1-row matrix) of mean returns as follows:

library(tseries)
set.seed(2)
R <- matrix(rnorm(100*10),nrow=100,ncol=10) # 10 assets, 100 observations
averet <- matrix(apply(R,2,mean),nrow=1)
rcov <- cov(R)
current_er <- 0.05
(op <- portfolio.optim(x=averet,pm=current_er,covmat=rcov,riskless =
FALSE,shorts = FALSE, rf = 0.0))

Hope this helps.

Best,

Guy