[R-SIG-Finance] R to common lisp translator

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:17:45 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Robert Sams <robert at sanctumfi.com> wrote:
> I think we can make an exception here. There are areas in finance where
> one would like to use R but the performance of its interpreted execution
> is too poor. I too would be interested to know if anyone on this list
> has had success with R/CL translation, especially in the context of
> computing on big time series. Anyone?

The paper by Ross Ihaka and Duncan Temple Lang titled "Back to the
Future: Lisp as a Base for a Statistical Computing System" discusses
building a new foundation for R on top of Common Lisp, but I don't know
if any work is being done in this direction. The idea is to leverage the
progress that has been made in the Common Lisp community while
maintaining much of the syntax and convenience of R.

But as has been pointed out in this thread, if most of the work is
already being done in C, then this will not help much.

Dominick