[R-SIG-Finance] Fwd: R to common lisp translator

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Tue Jan 25 17:09:41 CET 2011

On 01/25/2011 10:01 AM, Andres Susrud wrote:
> The bottlenecks is when running backtests for larger datasets.I'm also
> looking at some other functions that are updated for every new timestep.

We run backtests in R on complex indicators on tick data where the
indicator updates every tick.  These complete backtests, including the
path dependent trade generation rules run (for us) in seconds to a few
minutes per day of tick data per instrument.  All our code is R (mostly)
or C/C++ (either implied, like with TTR, or specific to our proprietary
indicators).

> for(i in 1:length(dataset)){
> function(dataset[1:i])}

This is a known performance bottleneck in R, and there is quite a lot of
literature about either reworking this to a vectorized formulation, or
moving such calculations which *must* be looped to C, Fortran, Java, or
C++ (for which good integration options already exist in R).

> When generating BM's also for comparisons, I also find the speed in R a bit
> slow, and that's why I'm looking for the bridge that gives more speed.

R-help would be a better place to see if people are doing Lisp in R in
any repeatable, scalable, manner.

Regards,

    - Brian

--