[R-SIG-Finance] I want to find the best arima model using AIC criterion, but having problems

BSanders adam at mycostech.com
Mon Jan 17 05:42:14 CET 2011

I'm running a loop for trying to find the best ARIMA seasonal model.  I'm
experimenting with different orders of AR, MA and differencing.., but when I
run my loops, I'm getting an error such as
"Error in optim(init[mask], armafn, method = optim.method, hessian = TRUE,
:
  non-finite finite-difference value [3]
"
and R exits the loop, however, it isn't finished.  Is there a way to make R
continuing what it should?

My code looks like this below :

count = 0
for(i in 0:7){
for(j in 0:2) {
for(k in 0:1)  {
for(l in 0:1)   {
for(m in 0:2)    {
for(n in 0:1)  {
for(o in 1:2)   {
model = arima(y, order=c(i,j,k), seasonal=list(order=c(l,m,n), period=7*o))
if (count == 0){
     aicmin = model$aic
     bestmodel = model
     }
if ((count != 0)&& (model$aic < aicmin)){
     aicmin = model$aic
     bestmodel = model
     diff1 = j
     diff2 = m