[R-SIG-Finance] A question on portfolio value calculation

Guy Green guygreen at netvigator.com
Thu Jan 6 13:28:10 CET 2011

In any realistic portfolio you will have some starting equity, and you would
also have the costs/proceeds of your long & short positions.  The portfolio
value would then be:

Starting equity + $(m1-m2-m3) -cost(pos1) +proceeds(pos2) +proceeds(pos2)

or to put it another way:

Starting equity +/- unrealised gains/losses on your positions.

Your position sizes will be linked to your starting equity, both in the
sense that your starting equity is a real-world constraint on the sizes of
the positions that your broker will allow you to enter into, and also in the
more theoretical (but still real-world) sense that the relative sizes of
your starting equity and your positions contribute to the likelihood of your
strategy exhausting all your equity at some point in the future, even if it
is a winning one over the long term.

Guy