[R-SIG-Finance] ?getSymbol.MySQL

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 22:03:43 CET 2010

Just a quick question. I'm playing around seriously for the first time
with MySQL. The man page for getSymbol.MySQL says I shouldn't call it
directly. However I note from reading that the default assumptions for
column names don't match what I have in my database. Additionally I
have other columns in the database I'd like to fetch if possible.
(Indicators, trading system status, etc.)

Is there any way to remap the column names that get fetched within R
using getSymbol? I.e. - a generic fetch of whatever column I want
instead of just predefined price data?

Am I better off in the long run digging into the getSymbol.MySQL R
code and then making my own function to do this job?

Maybe there's a more general package for MySQL interface vs one used
specifically for stock data?

Thanks in advance,
Mark