[R-SIG-Finance] LSPM - Unexpected Results

Noah Silverman noah at smartmediacorp.com
Mon Dec 27 20:10:47 CET 2010

Josh,

1)
R version: 2.11.0
LSPM Version:  (Don't know where to check)

2)
I'm fine with it taking many hours - that's to be expected.  There are
48 observations for each of the 13 assets.

3)
The last output line from the optimizer is:
0 0.5908 0.545 0.0954 0.41 0 0.0969 0.0078 0.6066 0.4896 0.0113 0.7568 1
-0.5036 -1 best value:  -1

The last two values are negative, which I am now assuming are the "z"
values.  But do not know what "z" values are - don't see any mention of
them in the Handbook of Portfolio Mathematics.

4)
Is there documentation about how to specify the margin and other
constraints?  The help files in R left me a bit lost.

I'm trying this while looking at a portfolio that is a "fund of funds".
So, they want to invest 100% of their fund and can't short anything.
Furthermore, they can only re-balance every 90 days, which only adds
further constraint.

I'm using the jpt example function from your blog with n=4 and the
following call in R:
DEctrl <- list(NP=100, itermax=1000, trace=1 )
res <- maxProbProfit(jpt, 1e-6, 6, probDrawdown, 0.1, DD=0.2,
calc.max=4, snow=cl, control=DEctrl)

Thanks!!!!

--
Noah