[R-SIG-Finance] Quantile Regression-Fit Stock data

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Dec 4 18:59:56 CET 2010

On 4 December 2010 at 09:28, Ronald McEwan wrote:
| I am new to R

Well, welcome!   But one piece of advice: you cross-posted at StackOverflow
and here. Cross-posting is seen as distasteful. Don't do it.

| and I am trying to reproduce some of my Excel models in R. In this
| project I am trying to perform a Quantile Regression on two Securities. I am not
| able to get the rq() function to read the stock data I retrieve. From what I
| have read so far I think I have to provide a definition for the data to enable
| rq() to recognize it. I have not had success with this so far. I would
| appreciate advice on how to define the stock market data in a way that the
| function will recognize the data as a valid input. This is what I have so far.

As I told you in an answer on SO which you chose to ignore so far, you also
seem to regress _prices_ on _prices_. I gave you the Granger and Newbold
reference on spurious regression that predates unit roots, cointegrations and
all that -- don't work in prices, work in returns.

Cheers, Dirk