[R-SIG-Finance] unstable cointegration vector estimates in Johansen test

Charles Evans cevans at chyden.net
Thu Dec 2 16:33:05 CET 2010

Hello Paul (Lestat?!?),

In my work, I have looked at potential cointegration between certain
categories of ETFs and the most nearly related futures, and I have
found wide disagreement among different cointegration tests.

Different cointegration tests have different strengths and
weaknesses.  Because there is rarely a conclusive reason to prefer any
particular cointegration test over all others.  Optimally, one would
use a variety (e.g., Engle-Granger/ADF, Engle-Granger/Phillips-Perron,
ECM, Phillips-Ouliaris [ca.po], Johansen [ca.jo]) and run with the
consensus.  Although it could be a bit tedious, you could run your
rolling cointegration tests using each of these and see if you get the
same odd behavior consistently.  If you do, then that would suggest
something interesting; if not, then it could just be an artifact of
the specific test.

If you have access to statistics and econometrics journals, you might
find these papers helpful:

Gregory, Allan W., Alfred A. Haug, and Nicoletta Lomuto, 2004, Mixed
signals among tests for cointegration. Journal of Applied Econometrics
19 (1), 89-98.

Hanck, Christoph, 2007, Mixed signals among panel cointegration tests.
Working Paper.
https://editorialexpress.com/cgibin/conference/download.cgi?db_name=sce2007&paper_id=115

Haug, Alfred A., 1996, Tests for cointegration: A Monte Carlo
comparison. Journal of Econometrics 71, 89-115.

Östermark, Ralf and Rune Höglund, 2000. Monte Carlo tests of
cointegration with structural breaks. Kybernetes 29 (9/10), 1284-1297.

Östermark, Ralf and Rune Höglund, 1999. Simulating competing
cointegration tests in a bivariate system. Journal of Applied
Statistics 27 (7), 831-846.

HTH,

Charles Evans
cevans at chyden.net

No one ever says, "First shoot all the plumbers."
Steve Foerster