[R-SIG-Finance] Mean-Semivariance (downside risk) Portfolio Construction

Gabe Plaxico gplaxico at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 01:29:38 CEST 2010

Hello Everyone:

Does anyone have experience in constructing a mean-semivariance
portfolio using the fPortfolio package?  What I am really searching for
is the ability to use my own arbitrary "mean", essentially constructing
a downside risk portfolio (Sortino -
http://sortino.com/htm/New%20Book.htm).  Typically done using the lpm
solver option.   My attempts at constructing this portfolio with
anything other than the true mean for each security ends in an error.
If anyone has done something similar can you provide
suggestions/examples?  Thanks in advance.