[R-SIG-Finance] cointegration & reversion to mean

Paul Teetor paulteetor at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 17:08:41 CEST 2010

Stephen,

First, did you get my posting regarding the O-U model and its limitations
when modeling time-to-reversion?

Second, I suggest reading Ernie Chan's book ("Quantitative Trading") if you
haven't already.

Third, I haven't found much research regarding the timing of mean-reversion
trades. It's my impression that academics don't think about that sort of
thing, and professional traders don't publish what they know. That leaves
very little to read.

For my own trading, I want two conditions before taking a mean-reversion
trade. (1) The spread must be at an extreme value, either the top 90th
percentile of its historical range or the bottom 10th percentile of its
range. (2) The spread momentum must be towards the mean, not away.

Those two guidelines don't guarantee a profit, and I'm sure you can find
better ones. But, so far, they've worked for me.

HTH

Paul