[R-SIG-Finance] Database for Historical Security Prices

Johnson, Cedrick W. cedrick at cedrickjohnson.com
Mon Oct 25 13:01:57 CEST 2010

[moderator: my earlier email was being held b/c of a mistake I made on
my end with my email address, sorry for the re-post]

I personally use a mysql database here with the 'quantmod' package. See:

?getSymbols.MySQL for the nitty gritty details.

You could also just open a connection to mysql either directly or via
ODBC and convert your time series into a data.frame and then use
dbWriteTable(dbcon, "SymbolName", Symbol.df). Conversely, to read back
into R, just use dbReadTable(dbcon, "SymbolName") and convert it into a
xts time series.

?dbReadTable and ?dbWriteTable ... If your dataset only adds the new row
everyday, when writing the table you could specify append=TRUE,
overwrite=FALSE.

HTH,