[R-SIG-Finance] Matlab vs. R performance/convenience benchmarking for quantitative analysis business

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 6 20:02:18 CEST 2010

Something in between free R and Matlab to consider is RevolutionR (I don't
work for them, please don't flame me). It uses optimized math libraries, has
a very nice IDE and is set-up for parallel computing out-of-the box. I don't
know what their corporate pricing is but it has to be cheaper than Matlab.
Below is a comparison (taken from the Revolution documentation) between the
optimized math libraries and the standard R libraries for certain
computations:

Calculation			Regular R			Optimized
libraries
Eigen				11.45				3.63
Svd				7.34				1.19
Qr				1.17				0.93
Lm				1.47				1.23
Matrix mult			1.75				0.09

Note: Mean times for various calculations below

set.seed(14)
x <- matrix(rnorm(1000000),nrow=1000)
xout <- numeric(20)
for (i in 1:20) xout[i] <- system.time(eigen(x))[3]
xout2 <- numeric(20)
for (i in 1:20) xout2[i] <- system.time(svd(x))[3]
xout3 <- numeric(20)
for (i in 1:20) xout3[i] <- system.time(qr(x))[3]
xout4 <- numeric(20)
for (i in 1:20) xout4[i] <- system.time(lm(x[,i]~x[,-i]))[3]
xout5 <- numeric(20)
for (i in 1:20) xout5[i] <- system.time(t(x)%*%x)[3]

Eric Zivot
Robert Richards Chaired Professor of Economics
Adjunct Professor of Finance
Adjunct Professor of Statistics
Department of Economics
Box 353330                  email:  ezivot at u.washington.edu
University of Washington    phone:  206-543-6715
Seattle, WA 98195-3330
www:  http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot