[R-SIG-Finance] Incorrect Formula in table.CAPM?

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Fri Sep 17 20:47:39 CEST 2010

Russ,

I'll take a look, though likely not in detail till Monday.
So, for now, some unsupported comments...

There are some difference3s of opinion in how to incorporate the risk
free rate.  In Bacon, for example, the risk free rate is not used in the
Tracking Error equations, but it is defined in the text as  as 'excess
returns' (which incorporates the risk free rate).

Annualization is always a bit strange, and by defintion, it is an
approximation. So, if you have real annual portfolio and benchmark
returns, these would always be preferable to use than the annualized
'scale' approximations based on number of observations in a year.  The
annualization is mostly to make series of differeng lengths or scales
comparable, with the attendant tradeoffs.

Your two numbers are also likely the same (or close enough) given the
number of significant digits in your input data...

In the future, these types of reports are easier to debug with a fully
reproducible example, e.g. drawn from the 'edhec' or 'managers' data sets.

Regards,

   - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson