[R-SIG-Finance] can I 'attach' a zoo object?

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Tue May 25 15:23:15 CEST 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010, Matthieu Stigler wrote:

> Hi
>
> When importing a big data frame, I like to "attach" its variables so
> they are direclty available. I don't see how to do this with zoo... Does
> anyone has an idea how I could do that?

It can't be done directly as attach() is non-generic and will tell you

R> attach(zoo1)
Error in attach(zoo1) :
   'attach' only works for lists, data frames and environments

You can do two things: (1) Use with() which I personally typically prefer
over attach()/detach() anyway. (2) Create a data.frame where every column
is a zoo series and attach that.

R> with(zoo1, vara + varb)
2003-02-02 2003-02-04 2003-02-08
  0.8189917  1.1104191  0.8113533

Or:

R> zoo2 <- merge(zoo1, retclass = "data.frame")
R> names(zoo2) <- colnames(zoo1)
R> attach(zoo2)
R> vara + varb
2003-02-02 2003-02-04 2003-02-08