[R-SIG-Finance] Anyone Know How to Calculate Ex Ante Standard Deviation

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Fri Mar 26 20:53:08 CET 2010

Gottlieb, Neil wrote:
> Does anyone know what the Barra Ex Ante Standard Deviation is and how to Calculate it?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

Not an R finance question, but this publication (and several other BARRA
publications):

http://www.barra.com/newsletter/nl169/estimationeuro169.asp

says:
"The standard BARRA technology is to scale these forecasts to make them
specific risk forecasts by multiplying them by the empirical ratio of mean
absolute specific return to standard deviation of specific return. We found
that this ratio differs by capitalization class."

Of course, any Barra subscriber (and if you're not a Barra subscriber, why
would you try to replicate their analysis?) may just call them up and talk to
one of their analysts.

Regards,

     - Brian

--