[R-SIG-Finance] Tests for TTR, and similar, packages

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:53:46 CET 2010

Worik,

One of the chief advantages of open source is the ability to
scrutinize the code yourself.  This is miles ahead of anything a
closed solution could allow.  So you are ahead of the game already.
Of course you have to read the code...

Second advantage is that widely used packages (FREE makes many users)
get lots of eyeballs.  That isn't a guarantee of anything of course,
but it should add to your confidence.

The above said, OSS is OSS, without warranty expressed or implied OF ANY KIND.

Of course trust in anything is subject to doubt.  Compiler?  R?  OS?
Do you have ECC RAM? How's your data?

In a perfect world we of course would have perfect regression suites
that test all unknowns.
Clearly life isn't perfect.

What WOULD be valuable is the addition of YOUR tests.  So write some,
instead of asking, and contribute the second half of the puzzle to the
community.

Thanks in advance!!
Jeff