[R-SIG-Finance] VaR for path-dependent option portfolio

Bogaso bogaso.christofer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:00:32 CET 2010

Hi all,

Here I am mandated to find the VaR for an Asian type option say call option,
wherein pay-off for that option will be simple average of daily prices (20
trading days) for next month. For example today it is 21st-march and pay-off
will be daily average for all trading days for the month of april, which is
going to expire on the last trading day of april.

I am clear on calculating VaR, at least daily, for European type option
wherein distribution of option price for next day is determined using BS
formula and hence the distribution of P/L for the option premium. However in
current case as option is path-dependent possibly there is no closed form
solution available to determine the fair price of the option. Therefore I am
seeking help on how to deal with my present case. If experts here give some
clue as well as some published documents or books on the regard I would be
truly grateful. Whatever I am aware of is calculation of VaR for plain
vanilla option.

Thanks,