[R-SIG-Finance] style.fit by month

julien cuisinier J_Cuisinier at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 16 07:27:31 CET 2010

Hi René,

For quad prog algo, look for solve.QP from quadprog package in R. It
should allow you to do what you want (if I understood well). Please
note I am not too familiar with the PerformanceAnalytics package & its
capabilities (but suspect its style analysis function is a wrapper for
solve.QP). Building a rolling window analysis is quite trivial from
there.

On another note, using 1 month data is probably too small to have
stable results (depending on how many factors in your style analysis -
personal rule of thumb is 10 times the number of factors gives you a
benchmark of nbr of data points needed) , I would look to include more
returns in your linear regression. One could look into applying some
sort of weighting to your regression to improve forecasting power
(e.g. exponential weighting). I guess you are also looking into the
residuals for autocorrelation & heteroskedasticity which will impact
the hypothesis testing of your betas/coefficients.

& Finally, always best to make a question as concise as possible,
include a piece of reproducible code of what you are trying to do &
some system information (what R version, what OS) ... that often makes
easier for list member to help & follow (more or less) the posting
guide.

HTH
Julien