[R-SIG-Finance] Is there a way to automate Bloomberg?

julien cuisinier J_Cuisinier at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 25 08:30:32 CET 2010

Michael,

I really do not think this is a way you'll get anyone sympathy or help
on this list.

Several points on your recent messages posted here:

1. you're sending to a R list a message of how to automate a process
involving BB & Matlab....not a good idea, if you have Matlab you are
paying the hefty fees that comes with it...hence you have access to
their customer services which would be much better placed than this
list to help you.

2. Bear in mind that R is free & that any help you may receive through
this list is also free & provided by people who have their own job/
agenda (i.e. unlike Matlab's support, they are not sitting & paid to
solve your problems). Hence any question asked should be as concise
and focused as possible and you should have clearly searched
beforehand, which was far from obvious from your recent posts...

3. Everyone on this list has a limited time capital to spend asking
questions and not posting properly (I will not pretend it never
happened to me...), you've been clearly dilapidating this capital of
late. People are not there to solve your prbls and spare you some
time, rather to try helping you on a voluntary basis if you're facing
a blocking point in your research / development. Asking people to
solve your Bloomberg process for uploading from Excel is none of this
list problem. Again if you have bloomberg station you have access to
their customer support which should be the people to answer your
question.

4. Reacting the way you did below will definitely alienate you most of
this list participants. You would have made some research into the
contributor and often provides helpful guidance when it is properly
asked. Again this is a free help, so you have to adapt to it no the
other way around.

5. "if you don't add value to the discussion" >> which discussion?

Sorry for this direct tone, but as Brian said this list has a quite
interesting high signal to noise ratio which makes all its value.
Thank you for your collaboration in keeping it this way.

Rgds,
Julien