[R-SIG-Finance] Need help please

Zhang, Ivan ivan.zhang at bankofamerica.com
Wed Jan 27 17:44:37 CET 2010

Hi Bogaso,

This may not necessarily help you get an answer, but perhaps would steer
you in another direction:

If the series doesn't look continuous you may potentially be able to
pick a quantile that would make this measure not "coherent" which
basically invalidates the use of VaR as a measure of risk in this case.

For more information on Coherent risk measures, see below link or Google
"coherent risk measure"

http://www.math.ethz.ch/~delbaen/ftp/preprints/CoherentMF.pdf

Hope this helps,

-Ivan Zhang