[R-SIG-Finance] GARCH (1,1) negative volatility???

Martin Becker martin.becker at mx.uni-saarland.de
Wed Jan 27 14:48:50 CET 2010

Dear Trafim,

your code simulates a GARCH(1,1) - process, which is (of course) *not*
restricted to be nonnegative; the volatility equation of a GARCH(1,1)
process (which indeed should not produce negative values) is only one of
the ingredients of the process. If you want to access the conditional
volatilities (and not the GARCH process path itself), you have to use
the "extended" argument as in
  gat <- garchSim(spec, n = 10, extended = TRUE)
and extract the conditional volatilities via
  gat$sigma

Best,
  Martin