[R-SIG-Finance] Which one is better?

John Frain frainj at tcd.ie
Fri Jan 1 13:42:55 CET 2010

Without knowing something about the nature of your data and the
purpose of your analysis this is a hard question to answer.  Do you
have an underlying theory agout the behaviour of your series?   If
that theory implies a unit root then and ADF type test (probably an
ERS test, as recommended by Mat)  is an appropriate choice.  If theory
says that the series is stationary then the KPSS test is an
appropriate test of the null of stationarity.  There are, of course,
non-stationary series that do not have a unit root.  It is nice if ADF
and KPSS tests lead to the same conclusion but there is no
contradiction if this does not happen.

Maddala and Kim (1998), Unit Roots Cointegration and Structural
Change, Cambridge University Press, is a good suvey of the theory of
unit roots etc.

Leybourne and McCabe (1989) shows how certain revisions to the KPSS
test can make the results of the ADF and KPSS test more consistent.

John