[R-SIG-Finance] index tracking

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Tue Sep 29 12:44:30 CEST 2009

Forgive my skepticism, but I doubt
that any stocks are really cointegrated
with an index.  The cointegration
approach might work, but I think you'd
be finding highly correlated stocks.

The traditional way (as far as I know)
is to do an optimization that minimizes
tracking error subject to the number-of-
names constraint that you want.

I do agree that daily rebalancing is
almost surely overkill.  Monthly rebalancing
might even be as well.  It is going to
depend on the tracking error you can
tolerate, and how important not breaking
the tracking error bound is to you.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com
(home of "The R Inferno" and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")