[R-SIG-Finance] EXCEL & R

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Sep 9 15:36:32 CEST 2009

Jan,

Thanks for the links.  They are both excellent documents that anyone
starting in R should read.

For me, the biggest issues with Excel for financial data are:

1> it can't handle data with millions of rows (like for example tick data)

2> it has no native understanding, manipulation, or alignment of time
series ('Sort' doesn't count)

3> I can't do anything more than the most simple of statistics or
numerical calculations in it

I haven't used a spreadsheet as anything other than an occasional
display device for several years in my work.

Regards,

   - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson