[R-SIG-Finance] How to feed minvariancePortfolio with ones own covariance matrix (sigma) and means (mu)

R. Vince rvince99 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 15 19:41:09 CEST 2009

 I too have been trying to use some of the efficient frontier functions (in
package fPortfolio). I must be doing something very stupd. Working from the
example (from the help file page, included herein below), when I go to
create the Data object, I get:

> Data = SMALLCAP.RET
> Data = Data[, c("GOOG", "MSFT", "JNJ")]
Error: subscript out of bounds

I'm truly at a loss here. Can someone please point me in the right direction
as to how to create the Data Object? I think there must be a mistake in the
help file, or I'm just very confused about it. Thanks, RVince

------ Help File Page I am working from:------------------

efficientPortfolio(fPortfolio) R Documentation

Efficient Portfolios
Description
Returns efficient portfolios.

Usage
efficientPortfolio(data, spec = portfolioSpec(), constraints = "LongOnly")

maxratioPortfolio(data, spec = portfolioSpec(), constraints = "LongOnly")
tangencyPortfolio(data, spec = portfolioSpec(), constraints = "LongOnly")

minriskPortfolio(data, spec = portfolioSpec(), constraints = "LongOnly")
minvariancePortfolio(data, spec = portfolioSpec(), constraints = "LongOnly")

maxreturnPortfolio(data, spec = portfolioSpec(), constraints = "LongOnly")

Arguments
constraints a character string vector, containing the constraints of the
form
"minW[asset]=percentage" for box constraints resp.
"maxsumW[assets]=percentage" for sector constraints.
data a multivariate time series described by an S4 object of class
timeSeries. If your timeSerie is not a timeSeries object, consult the
generic function as.timeSeries to convert your time series.
spec an S4 object of class fPFOLIOSPEC as returned by the function
portfolioSpec.

Details
Efficient Portfolio:

An efficient portfolio is a portfolio which lies on the efficient frontier.
The efficientPortfolio function returns the properties of the efficient
portfolio as an S4 object of class fPORTFOLIO.

Minumum Risk or Tangency Portfolio:

The function tangencyPortfolio returns the portfolio with the highest
return/risk ratio on the efficient frontier. For the Markowitz portfolio
this is the same as the Sharpe ratio. To find this point on the frontier the
return/risk ratio calculated from the target return and target risk returned
by the function efficientPortfolio.

Global minimum risk or Minimum Variance Portfolio:

The function minvariancePortfolio returns the portfolio with the minimal
risk on the efficient frontier. To find the minimal risk point the target
risk returned by the function efficientPortfolio is minimized.

Maximum Return Portfolio:

The function maxreturnPortfolio returns the portfolio with the maximal
return for a fixed target risk.

Value
returns an S4 object of class "fPORTFOLIO".