[R-SIG-Finance] Question about seasonal parameters in ARIMA model.

Adams, Zeno Zeno.Adams at ebs.edu
Fri Jul 31 16:43:07 CEST 2009

Temperature data is not my field but I noticed one thing that appears odd:

You use three times differencing on the seasonal part which suggests some extreme form of nonstationarity in the seasonality. Normally, differencing once for the seasonality should be sufficient. You may want to check the optimal parameter, differencing, and lag setting by running several model specifications. The lowest AIC should tell you which specification to use. The following code (see more in "Applied Econometrics with R", Kleiber & Zeileis (2008)) should help:

optimal_par <- expand.grid(ar = 0:2, diff = 1, ma = 0:2, sar = 0:3, sdiff = 0:3, sma = 0:3)
opt_aic <- rep(0, nrow(optimal_par))
for(i in seq(along = opt_aic)) opt_aic[i] <- AIC(arima(temp,
unlist(optimal_par[i, 1:3]), unlist(optimal_par[i, 4:6])),
k = log(length(temp)))
optimal_par[which.min(opt_aic),]

Zeno