[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] getSymbols() date range

ehxpieterse eduard.pieterse at macquarie.com
Fri Jul 31 15:28:23 CEST 2009

Hi,

Using the following code, I can easily grab the S&P history:

from.dat <- as.Date("01/01/80", format="%m/%d/%y")
to.dat <- as.Date("07/30/09", format="%m/%d/%y")
getSymbols("^GSPC", src="yahoo", from = from.dat, to = to.dat)

However, I would like to know how to grab all the history, without knowing
beforehand when it starts. Using getSymbols() without the date ranges, only
gives a few years' worth of history. Typically, the Dow started somwhere in
1920 and the S&P somewhere in 1970 (the data that is).

Also, out of interest, when I open an imported data set and view it using
data editor, I can only see the Series.open values. Is this a feature or am
I doing something strange?

Many thanks,
Eduard