[R-SIG-Finance] Continuous futures series with R

Whit Armstrong armstrong.whit at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:29:01 CEST 2009

if you have high quality data (i.e. no missing vol and oi data), then
the problem isn't difficult.

I'm not sure what the case is with IB, but quite a few futures data
providers have very spotty data then you have to write a lot of code
to deal with the bad data.

typical problems that I've seen from our data provider are:
1) future contracts that do not overlap in time
2) OI data that is missing for some or all contracts
3) OI data that is represented as the total OI for all contracts (but
appended to each contract)
4) contracts that were trading but not the active contract that have
data on holidays (but the active contract doesn't have this date).
This is a problem b/c to create the scratch space for the continuous
series the easiest way to calc the total rows is
unique(unlist(lapply(x,dates))), so you wind up with extra dates b/c
of the bad data.

I have a package for this that's not quite complete.  I'll post it to
github shortly.

-Whit