[R-SIG-Finance] error in plot() with fGarch object from saved .RData file

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Tue Jul 28 21:08:41 CEST 2009

On Windows, R saves your workspace automagically on quitting in a file
in the working directory called .RData

if I have a garchFit object 'gf' it will plot correctly immediately
after fitting.

However, it will fail after reloading:

 > plot(gf)
Error in as.double(y) :
  cannot coerce type 'S4' to vector of type 'double'

but the corresponding .plot.garch.#() functions will still work.

I can replicate this behavior on linux as well by fitting and then
saving a garchFit object.  On loading the object, it will fail to S4
method dispatch on plot() again.

Using R 2.9.1 and the CRAN version of the RMetrics packages

Any ideas on how to avoid this behavior?

It's only an annoyance, but it does make it difficult for me to share
data internally if I can't just save the object and have it displayable
by my coworkers.

Thanks,

  - Brian

--