[R-SIG-Finance] how to smooth timeseries without the lagging?

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Sat Jul 25 17:31:04 CEST 2009

"smoothing" is not a well defined term. In the Kalman filter literature, smoothing refers to state extraction at time t using all available information (before and after t) and typically results in two-sided moving average type algorithms. The whole point of smoothing is to reduce the noise in the data and extract a "smooth" component. This invariably involves some kind of averaging of the observation both before and after the observation. So it doesn't make sense to have a "smoother" that does not involve some lagging effect. Otherwise, you couldn't smooth. See

Harvey, A. C. and Koopman, S. J. (2000). Signal extraction and the formulation of unobserved components
models. Econometrics Journal, Vol. 3, pp. 84-107.

for a nice discussion.

*  Eric Zivot                  			               *
*  Professor and Gary Waterman Distinguished Scholar           *
*  Department of Economics                                     *
*  Adjunct Professor of Finance                                *
*  Adjunct Professor of Statistics
*  Box 353330                  email:  ezivot at u.washington.edu *
*  University of Washington    phone:  206-543-6715            *
*  Seattle, WA 98195-3330                                      *                                                           *
*  www:  http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot                  *