[R-SIG-Finance] Fwd: Fwd: Inequality constraints in GMM estimation?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Jul 22 18:40:40 CEST 2009

      I haven't used "gmm", but if it will pass 'method = "L-BFGS-B"'
with "lower = 0", you might be able to transform your problem into that
form as follows:

      Let m(q) = m q, where m = an n x p matrix, and q = a p x 1
vector.  If n = p, then let z = m q so q = solve(m, z), and parameterize
your function "g" in terms of z.

      If n < p, first compute the qr decomposition of t(m)

m <- matrix(1:2, 1)
mq <- t(qr.Q(qr(t(m)), complete=TRUE))

      Then let mc be an n x n matrix with the first n rows = m and the
last (p-n) rows being the last (p-n) rows of mq.  Then let z = mc q and
solve similar to the above.

      If n > p, I suggest you start by solving the unconstrained
problem, then find out which constraints are violated, add the
constraints that seem to be violated the worst perhaps one at a time
iteratively until you have a solution.

      Or you could read the code for "gmm" and try to modify it to use
"constrOptim".

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves